in , ,

12-year-old Assam archer’s injury due to official negligence, Says state archery official

The mishap was a result of negligence by the local coach and officials.

As per the report, 12-year-old Assam archer, Shivangini Gohain, who was impaled by an arrow shot accidentally at the Sports Authority of India (SAI) centre in Dibrugarh, was training unsupervised and the mishap was a result of negligence by the local coach and officials.

The child was training at the Dakha Devi Rasiwasia College at Chabua, which serves as an extension centre under the SAI Regional Centre in Guwahati when the incident took place on Jan 8. Now she has been shifted to ICU after procedure done by surgeons at Delhi’s AIIMS Trauma Centre. She injured her shoulder bone after an arrow pierced through her neck, ANI reported here.

Thus, She was airlifted to Delhi on Thursday night and admitted to the AIIMS Trauma Centre. Meanwhile, Pulin Das, a joint secretary of Assam Archery Association and executive member of the state Olympic association has mentioned that, the injury to the school girl from the “Deodhai village”, which is 3km from Chabua, happened as the trainees were practising without any coach and other officials.

“There is a SAI contractual coach Marcy and he has left for the Khelo India Games in Guwahati. He didn’t instruct the trainees to stop the camp for some time nor did the college principal, who acted as administrator of the extension centre, looked after the practice,” Pulin Das told Press Trust of India over phone on Jan 10.

Further, The extension center has 11 trainees, 6 boys and 5 girls, and they were training under SAI contractual coach “A C Marcy” from Nagaland, who is in Guwahati for the “Khelo India Youth Games”. Furthermore, “The training ground itself is in very bad shape, it was not even a dedicated ground for archery training, some play football, cricket and other sports on that ground. But the worst part is that the SAI coach did not give instructions to stop the camp for a while and the archers were training without any supervision,” he asserted.

Following the official statement, Shivangini Gohain was struck by an arrow shot by boys doing practice for compound event. The arrow remained stuck for more more than a day before she was airlifted to New Delhi on Thursday night. “There was nobody to look after the archers, they were training on their own though their parents were outside the ground. An arrow shot by a boy trainee who was doing compound event practice hit her on the shoulder,” the official remarked.

Shivangini’s father Brinchi Gohain was outside the practice area and with no official of the college and SAI coming for help, she was taken to Assam Medical College in Dibrugarh, 33 km from Chabua. “She could reach the AMC in Dribugarh only on Thursday morning. There, the doctors told her parents to take her to a more reputed hospital like AIIMS in Delhi.

As per the PTI inputs here, With help from people close to the local Member of Parliament and Assam CM himself, she was taken by air ambulance to Delhi. “I was told that she had a very tough time as the arrow remained stuck for more than a day. She is a strong-willed girl and she fought. Her father must be a daily wage labourer and he was distraught also”. The SAI stated that it will bear all the expenses of her treatment”.

A senior doctor at the AIIMS Trauma Centre said a part of the arrow had gone through Gohain’s shoulder bone. Doctors are examining her health and she is undergoing investigations. A decision on the course of treatment to be provided to her or performing a surgery will be taken soon,” he asserted, adding that the archer was “conscious and stable”. Despite all of this, The Assam Archery Association has contributed Rs 20,000 towards her treatment.

PM’s extensive budget consultations reserved only for crony capitalist friends, Says Rahul Gandhi

US strike kills Taliban splinter commander in Herat: officials