United Kingdom stabbings: Suspect held under Mental Health Act

A man who was arrested after three people were stabbed at Manchester Victoria station has been detained under the Mental Health Act.

The Police has said that the 25-year-old suspect was being assessed by specialist medical staff over the New Year’s Eve incident, which is being treated as terror related.

It happened shortly before 9pm and two knives were later recovered from the scene, with a search also still being carried out at an address in the Cheetham Hill area.

Further, Police added there was “nothing to suggest the involvement of other people in this attack, but confirming this remains a main priority for the investigation”.

Earlier on Tuesday, police said they were keeping an open mind about the motive of the suspect, who has not yet been confirmed to be a British national.

The three victims – a woman and a man in their 50s, and a British Transport Police (BTP) sergeant in his 30s – were taken to a nearby hospital in a “serious” condition but their injuries are not thought to be life-threatening.

The woman suffered injuries to her face and stomach and the man had wounds to his stomach, and both are still being treated in hospital.

The BTP sergeant was also treated after he was stabbed in the shoulder, but has since been released.

Prime Minister Theresa May tweeted on Tuesday: “My thoughts are with those who were injured in the suspected terrorist attack in Manchester last night. I thank the emergency services for their courageous response.”

Also posting on Twitter, Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said: “Thinking of those injured in Manchester last night, their families and loved ones. Thanks to our emergency services for their professionalism and bravery in dealing with this suspected terror attack.”

Great Manchester mayor Andy Burnham also paid tribute the heroism of the police and said the “vile attack” appeared to be an isolated incident.

Sam Clack, a BBC producer who works in the city, was on a platform at the station when he witnessed the attack.

He said: “I just heard this most blood curdling scream and looked down the platform. What it looked like was a guy in his 60s with a woman of similar age and another guy all dressed in black.

“It looked like they were having a fight, but she was screaming in this blood curdling way. I saw police in high-viz come towards him. He came towards me. I looked down and saw he had a kitchen knife with a black handle with a good, 12-inch blade. It was just fear, pure fear.”

Mr Clack said police officers used a Taser and pepper spray before “six or seven” of them jumped on the man.

an Hopkins, chief constable of Great Manchester Police, called the incident a “horrific attack on people simply out to enjoy the New Year’s Eve celebrations”.

He said British Transport Police officers had showed “incredible bravery” in tackling and detaining the suspect.

Inputs by Sky News.

50 injured during New Year 2019 celebrations in Buenos Aires

IS suicide bombings kill three soldiers in Libya